I am constantly trying to come up with creative ways to bring truth to bear on the hearts of my kids. My latest attempt was to write a letter to my son from his son in the future. My son Cole has a brilliant imagination. Hopefully this letter from the future is speaking his language.
Dear Dad (Elijah Cole Terry),
I am writing you from the year 2034. In my time you are 31 years old and I am 9. My name is Eli. I hope you get this letter because there are a few things you really need to know.
- Take care of your legos – they are antiques in my day and you often tell me if we ever need money we can sell them on cloud 9 (it’s similar to what you call the internet).
- Whatever you do, don’t date the girl you have a crush on when you are 19, she turned out to be psycho.
- Mom is really pretty and you guys are best friends. She says, that she hopes you pray for her even now. She will not let me tell you when you guys meet for the first time, but learn how to play golf!
- You tell me often that prayer was always your greatest weapon. I guess you should start becoming good at it now and you will be even better in my time.
- Make sure you get a female labrador retriever at some point. As I write this letter my favorite dog Samson is sitting beside me, apparently he is the great grand-dog of your Levi.
- In 2031, remember that kids make mistakes, your hair WILL grow back and it was JUST A JOKE!!!
- Oh yeah, one more thing – hug Papa Zach for me and tell him when he buys the condo on the Moon to make sure it has bunk beds for the grandkids.
Your Loving Son,